33 Fun Things to Do in Katy, TX
There are plenty of fun things to do in Katy, TX, located only about 30 miles west of Houston, TX. Homebuyers who choose Katy, TX as their stomping grounds have a wealth of options for entertainment, dining, and conveniently located retail.
Katy only continues to grow and provide more offerings to homebuyers and “with a 2020 population of 29,049, it is the 113th largest city in Texas and the 1338th largest city in the United States” (World Population Review). This blog explores the top fun things to do in the city.
Shopping in Katy, TX
Katy, TX’s zip codes include 77493, 77449, 77494, 77450, and 77094. Within these five zip codes lies a wide variety of retail opportunities. From luxury shopping districts to friendly farmers markets, the city has something for everyone.
Katy Mills Mall
With over 165 stores to choose from, Katy Mills Mall is not only a favorite for locals, but popular with tourists as well. It is the Houston area’s only indoor outlet shopping destination. Shoppers can enjoy great finds from the most popular retail brands, including Nike, GAP, Marshall’s, XXI Forever, Saks OFF 5th, and so much more. The mall is also home to entertainment like AMC Theaters and Tilt Studio.
La Centerra at Cinco Ranch
Shop, dine, and play at La Centerra, an outdoor shopping center filled with fine dining, local eats, and luxury shopping. Katy, TX locals can get specialty groceries at Trader Joe’s or catch a movie and dinner at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. Central Green, located in the center of La Centerra, is an on-site half-acre park that serves as an event space with live music, yoga, story time, and movies.
Katy Historic District
- Situated near Katy City Hall, “Old Katy” offers unique antique and furniture shops like KT Antiques and Vintage Back Roads. Other unique finds include Midway Bar-B-Que, a full-service restaurant and meat market in Old Katy.
Katy Market Days
- Located in historic Downtown Katy, Katy Market Days is a free outdoor market that takes place every third Saturday of the month. Katy Market Days has been a local institution for over 20 years, and currently brings Katy residents together with local vendors, food trucks, and family-friendly entertainment.
Parks in Katy, TX
Scenic trails, abundant wildlife, and historic sites offer the perfect backdrop for a day in the park. Many neighborhoods in Katy, TX offer pocket parks or on-site community green space, but these unique public parks are welcoming spaces to enjoy the outdoors.
Mary Jo Peckham Park
- This beautiful outdoor public park features a sparkling lake offering rainbow trout fishing. Mary Jo Peckham Park, a 32-acre park, offers a large playground for children of all ages, a mini golf course, picnic pavilion, and grills for family picnics. If you’re lucky, your family might spot a family of ducklings!
- This three-acre park is a little hidden gem of educational green space to promote CenterPoint Energy’s “Right Tree, Right Place” initiative. Take a stroll to enjoy various species of local trees or enjoy a picnic in the covered pavilion at Katy Arboretum.
Katy Heritage Park
- Love history? You’ll love Katy Heritage Park, known for restored historic buildings and beautiful landscaping. Call the Heritage Society to schedule a tour of the historic homes or spend the day outdoors on the brick-paved patio.
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Park
- This wooded park has something for all ages to enjoy, including a large playground, two pavilions with picnic tables, and a walking path. The park is also the site of the Katy Veterans Memorial Museum, open to the public Monday through Friday and on the first Saturday of the Month.
Willow Fork Park
- Located just north of Cinco Ranch High School, Willow Fork Park is a multipurpose environment with a playground, paved walking trails, a lake, and over five species of native trees. Nature lovers can enjoy the on-site butterfly garden, featuring plants designed to attract Monarchs and other butterflies!
- Opened in 2015, this immersive playground park is rooted in children’s play. Children of all ages can come to enjoy the sensory garden, musical bridge, slide tower, and water-cycle wall at Exploration Park.
Bear Creek Pioneers Park and Zoo
- In the middle of Bear Creek Park (just a few miles from Downtown Katy, TX) is a hidden gem helping rescued and rehabilitated animals, including owls, parrots, goats, emus, deer, and sheep. This free park is open to the public and is also home to several playgrounds and an expansive trail system winding through Bear Creek Park.
Fun Restaurants and Foodie Destinations in Katy, TX
Foodies rejoice – Katy, TX has every kind of cuisine you could ask for. This list barely covers all the amazing finds in the city, because you can truly find all kinds of world cuisine: Mediterranean food, BBQ, sushi, Tex-Mex, European food, soul food, ramen, and so much more. Here are just a few neighborhood favorites.
The Oaks Kitchen & Bar
- Cane Island’s on-site restaurant, The Oaks Kitchen & Bar, offers contemporary seasonal fare, exquisite wines, and cocktails. Residents of Cane Island and nearby communities can enjoy weekly specials and a selection of gourmet ranch-inspired American classics, as well as live music and Sunday brunch buffet.
No Label Brewing
- This family-owned and operated brewery in Historic Katy, TX invites you to enjoy beer by the pint in their Taproom. Daily events range from Trivia and Bingo to a running club. No Label Brewing “must” destination for beer lovers in the city.
Katy Asian Town
- Anchored by the Korean Grocery store H-Mart, Katy Asian Town is a haven of authentic Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese cuisine and more. From dim sum and tapioca drinks to ramen and hot pot, Katy Asian Town is THE spot for authentic Asian food in Katy. They also offer a convenient community-based to-go platform called AMA ON-THE-GO, allowing you to order from multiple restaurants and have it packaged in a single delivery.
Scholars and Scoundrels
- This unique and locally owned bar & grill is located near Katy Mills Mall and serves creative pub food and cocktails. This local establishment was voted “Best Restaurant in Katy” in 2019 and continues to serve as a favorite neighborhood spot for good food and good drinks.
The Original Marini’s Empanada House
- This two-decades old local Houston restaurant opened its Katy location in 2004. Marini’s serves Argentinian style empanadas with both classic recipes and original customer favorites, like the apple with cinnamon empanada.
- Right beside Marini’s Empanada House is a one-of-a-kind pie shop and restaurant serving up good coffee and even better pie. Locally owned and operated, Proud Pie bakes and serves artisan pies in a cozy, café atmosphere.
Live Music in Katy, TX
There’s nothing like live music on a Saturday night. Select bars and music venues in Katy, TX offer live music and entertainment on a regular schedule. There’s no need to drive all the way to the other side of Harris County or Fort Bend County to enjoy the best of live entertainment.
Baker St. Pub in La Centerra
- Baker St. Pub in La Centerra features eats like fish & chips and Shepherd’s pie bites, plus beers on tap. On Saturday nights, visitors can enjoy live music by select local bands while enjoying libations indoors or on the expansive patio.
- This restaurant and bar in the heart of Katy brings the music scene to life with live DJs with themed music nights, plus karaoke, and live bands. Residents of Katy, TX have easy access to everything from Latin Music to throwbacks at Katy Vibes.
Music Under the Stars at Central Green
- La Centerra’s Central Green bursts with music on select Friday and Saturday nights. Enjoy free outdoor entertainment with your meal on restaurant patios overlooking Central Green.
- This bar and grill provides a great atmosphere and great music with a sprawling outdoor patio and food truck kitchen. Wildcatter Saloon's stage hosts a variety of exciting live music acts from tribute bands to touring bands.
Amusement Attractions in Katy, TX
Despite being 30 miles from the Houston, TX, Katy is filled with big city amusements and attractions, and most are even kid-friendly activities. Arcades, roller skating, mini-golf, and more thrill Katy’s adventure seekers.
Typhoon Texas Waterpark
- This top destination for the summer is located right next to Katy Mills Mall. Filled with thrilling water slides, a lazy river, and a kid-friendly zone, Typhoon Texas waterpark offers single-day and season passes, making it easy for Katy residents to enjoy regular fun in the sun.
Andretti – Indoor Karting & Games
- One of the best Go-Kart experiences in the Houston area, Andretti is filled with excitement at every turn. Attractions include laser tag, an expansive arcade, Holgate experiences, and mini-golf course, but the two-story Kart tracks are the main attraction with options for adult races and children’s races.
- The West Houston/Katy location of Top Golf is located near the Energy Corridor. This three-floor entertainment venue features an immersive, high-tech golf game paired with an exciting food and beverage menu. New and veteran golf players alike can practice their swing and rack up points with TopGolf’s tracking system.
Mason Road Skate Center
- For classic family fun, the Mason Road Skate Center has been serving the Katy community since 1987. Open for public skating and private skate parties, visitors can choose between in-line skates or traditional roller skates on the neon-lit skate floor.
Times Square Entertainment
- Times Square, located on Grand Parkway South, is an independently-owned entertainment venue with bowling, billiards, laser tag, and a large arcade. A popular spot for fundraising, school events, and birthday parties, Times Square has been serving the Katy community for years.
Katy Go Karts
- This budget-friendly entertainment venue features an outdoor Go-Kart track, Ferris-wheel, batting cage, and mini golf. On the other side of the parking lot, families can enjoy indoor fun in the arcade.
Main Event Katy
- Perfect for birthday parties or a day of fun, Main Event in Katy is a top destination for premium laser tag, bowling, and arcade games. Food and bar offerings make it easy to spend the day at Main Event, with on-site cocktails, pizzas, burgers, and other fare.
Momentum Indoor Climbing
- This 36,000 sq ft space features roped and un-roped indoor climbing walls and a large area for fitness and yoga. The rock-climbing gym also offers climbing classes for beginners and pros alike, as well as leagues for bouldering.
Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park
- Looking for a high-flying adventure? This ultimate indoor adventure is open to all ages, featuring not only a vast trampoline park, but mini-golf, indoor skydiving, virtual reality experiences, and more.
Kid and Toddler Activities in Katy, TX
Many of the items on this list are kid and toddler-friendly activities, but these have been selected especially for Katy’s youngest residents. Learning opportunities meet family fun in these kid-friendly locations.
MKT Railroad Depot & Park
- Home to the historic Missouri-Kansas-Texas (MKT) Depot, this museum and pocket park explains how the Depot functioned as a passenger railroad service until 1957. Part museum, part visitors center for the Katy Heritage Society, this little red caboose is located in the heart of Historic Katy.
- Only 20 minutes from Katy, TX, Dewberry Farm has kids’ activities that bring the farm experience to life. Visitors can visit the on-site farmers market, pick fresh fruit, or enjoy the seasonal events, like Fall Fest and Spring Fest. Dewberry Farm is a family-favorite destination during pumpkin patch season!
Kanga’s Indoor Playcenter and Café
- Open 7 days a week, this toddler-friendly stomping ground is designed for kids ages 1 – 11 years old. This clean indoor playground is perfect no matter what the weather outside is with a multi-level playground, inflatables, and a dedicated toddler area.
New Homes in Katy, TX Near It All
Ready to live amid all the fun? Cane Island offers new homes for sale Katy, TX only 30 miles away from Houston. This lively and energetic new home community in the heart of Katy is only minutes from I-10 with close proximity to Houston’s Energy Corridor.
Live close to Katy’s exciting (and growing) scene. Plan a visit to Cane Island to tour builder model homes or discover all the amenities available to residents from the comfort of home, including on-site dining at The Oaks, a family pool & splash pad, fitness center, and so much more. Take virtual tours of the community and explore Cane Island’s master plan.
Ready to explore buying your new home in Cane Island? Plan your visit or get in touch online.